M&F Talent has a client in horticultural lighting that is looking to hire a Director of Engineering and Product Management. This individual will lead the company engineering team in the design, development and enhancement of horticultural LED lighting products. The ideal candidate will have a developed background in LED lighting design and manufacturing.
The Director of Engineering and Product Management will have high visibility to the executive team and will frequently deliver presentations to cross-functional audiences including executive team, board group, distributors partners, and end-users. The role requires the explanation of technical features of lighting products into tangible benefits for customers. Technical and communication skills are most critical, along with the ability to build a strong, committed engineering team. Previous management experience is essential.
- Develop the engineering team, including the hiring and training of the staff for the department.
- Manage a group of engineers, technicians, and support staff to provide product design and development, compliance, and sustaining activities as well as act as the designer of critical sub-systems.
- Work closely with customers, sales, and marketing to become the technical product expert.
- Play the key role in driving technical product advancements by creating specifications and marketing materials that clearly explain the value we are delivering.
- Carefully monitor horticulture tech development trends and cutting-edge technologies of LED lighting industry.
- Manage the LED Fixture and Controls portfolio and product roadmap to create a leadership position in product efficiency, cost, and output for multiple form factors and applications.
- Contribute regularly to the design efforts of the engineering team.
- Lead and motivate cross-functional teams to develop and design products, as well as bring them to market on time, on budget, and at the highest possible and best-in-class quality standards.
- Make new product development plan based on input from leadership, sales, and market research reports.
- Participate in technical product testing to assess performance characteristics.
- Manage the changing priorities of product development to meet sales goals.
- Prepare new product project proposals and detailed information sheets.
- Work close on R&D, while teaming with purchasing and production departments to ensure the launch and scale of new products is successful on the first pass.
- Develop recommendations for pricing based off product contribution and targets, product forecasts, and how those contribute to the greater product line and category.
- Monitor light fixture supply chain and track how engineering choices impact costs and supply strategies.
- Be the internal and external expert in designated product line, while being able to show and articulate product benefits to partners, industry writers/editors and always be the champion for designated products.
- Be the go-to-market champion for new product introductions, which includes engaging and organizing the entire organization at some level to help successfully introduce new products.
- Work closely with in marketing and engineering on product assets and campaigns, which includes briefing needs, contributing/consulting to creative process, reviewing and approving product collateral and maintaining an executable plan.
- Hit market launch dates without compromise on quality.
- Travel up 20% for customer visits, industry events, etc.
- S. degree in Electrical Engineering (MSEE preferred).
- Three years of experience in a leadership role.
- Five of experience in LED lighting product management, knowledge and experience in industrial and commercial LED fixtures is preferred as well as having the ability to understand and interpret relevant engineering drawings and technical documents.
- Experience with product launches, product management, and problem solving.
- Strong understanding of manufacturing processes and DFM process.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with varied scope and complexity.
- Experience and understanding of wireless lighting control systems and concepts and how they impact fixture design.
- Ability to create innovative concepts and products through the design process while recognizing the influences from manufacturing, sales, cost and timing.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, guide, coach, mentor, and train team members.
- Proven project management skills.